Unused Keen sprite?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Unused Keen sprite?

Post by szemi »

I found a sprite of Keen that isn't used. He looks at his Computer Wrist.
Was this going to be instead of his waiting move sprite?

Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

hey i had a cool idea- maybe when you press 'esc' keen looks at his wrist computer, then goes to the main menu (which is a pic of keen's wrist comp).

MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

That's neat.

I wonder if any of the other games have some unused ones too...

I better go check
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.

Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Re: Unused Keen sprite?

Post by Scarlet »

szemi wrote:I found a sprite of Keen that isn't used. He looks at his Computer Wrist.

From which episode is that?
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Unused Keen sprite?

Post by szemi »

Scarlet wrote:
szemi wrote:I found a sprite of Keen that isn't used. He looks at his Computer Wrist.

From which episode is that?

troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Also, the appearance of the Keen Dreams door (KG#4SPR0241). I wonder why...
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!

guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Not sure why. A lot of games have unused date still in the release version. I remember finding a game shark code that glitched up the sound in Mega Man 4. At one point it played Protoman's whistle. I went frantic trying to find were in the game that is, just to end in disappointment. Possibly was planned and they changed the plot of the game to exclude Protoman.

Make me wonder how much other content I own that I don't have access to.

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

troublesomekeen wrote:Also, the appearance of the Keen Dreams door (KG#4SPR0241). I wonder why...
The Keen 4 tileset may well have been a reworked Dreams tileset - KD was, of course, released before K4 and is pretty much Galaxy, so it'd make sense to use it. What sense is there in having to figure out the perspective of everything and remember a whole new set of tile co-ords? K4 graphics = KD reskin of sorts.

What surprises me is that these tiles were still in the set on release. Most other tiles were removed; I recall [I've blanked on name - they had Duke as their avatar IIRC] cracked open a beta of K4 to find a whole swathe of unused tiles which were removed before the commercial release. I assume these tiles were ditched or replaced quite late in development and thus survived that cull.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass

lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

I'd always figured that the wrist watch sprite was supposed to be drawn right before cutting to the actual wrist watch screen that comes up when ESC is pressed.

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Which sprite frame is this, and in which Keen 4 version?

The Keen 4 tileset may well have been a reworked Dreams tileset - KD was, of course, released before K4 and is pretty much Galaxy, so it'd make sense to use it. What sense is there in having to figure out the perspective of everything and remember a whole new set of tile co-ords? K4 graphics = KD reskin of sorts.

What surprises me is that these tiles were still in the set on release. Most other tiles were removed; I recall [I've blanked on name - they had Duke as their avatar IIRC] cracked open a beta of K4 to find a whole swathe of unused tiles which were removed before the commercial release. I assume these tiles were ditched or replaced quite late in development and thus survived that cull.
But Keen 6 came before keen 4...

The tiles in the beta version were designed for the game, however when the game was released, to save space a program was run that cut out all the tiles in the tileset that did not appear in the gamemaps at least once. You will notice the default EGAHEAD has a special entry for this of -1 to indicate removed tile graphics.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.

troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Levellass wrote:Which sprite frame is this, and in which Keen 4 version
...waht? Lev'lass! Why you no see dis frame never!? It looks like you've changed Keen's shirt to red in that one, too (4SPR0159).

Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:55, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Levellass wrote:The tiles in the beta version were designed for the game, however when the game was released, to save space a program was run that cut out all the tiles in the tileset that did not appear in the gamemaps at least once. You will notice the default EGAHEAD has a special entry for this of -1 to indicate removed tile graphics.
Yeah, I know they were designed for the game and not used - clearly this sprite is K4 as Keen isn't in PJs. All I was saying was the door could have been a temp sprite while other parts of the game were being worked on, copied form a previous tileset or indicating a traced tileset. I'm not expecting to be right on that front - just speculating.
Levellass wrote:But Keen 6 came before keen 4...
:confused
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass

Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Wait, didn't Keen 6 come out before Keen 5 but after Keen 4?
It just might be done someday. The chance is always there.

TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

I assume Lass is referring to development time anyway, which may or may not correspond to release time in any way. I wasn't aware 6 came out or was developed in anything other than chronological order anyway, so this is News To Me.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.

Doc_Savvy
Grunt

Post by Doc_Savvy »

Keen 4 was developed first, then Keen 6 (It had to be completed by a certain time as it was released retail instead of shareware like the others) and K5 was developed last.

Check out Romero's comments about the timeline here:
http://planetromero.com/2005/12/happy-birthday-keen-4-6